Claims – City of Burlington

If you have suffered a loss for which you believe the City of Burlington may be responsible, you may file a claim against the City.

In accordance with our insurance claim protocol, payment of your claim will only be made if the City has been found legally liable. Liability refers to liability or negligence assessed against the City if the City failed to meet the proper standard of care resulting in your loss.

For more information, contact us by phone at 905-335-7600, ext. 7582 or by email at [email protected]

Submit a claim online

Contact your insurance company or broker

Although we recognize that experiencing a loss can be upsetting, it is important to know that the City is not your insurer. If you have an auto or home insurance policy, we suggest you report the incident immediately to your insurance company or broker. By immediately involving your insurance company, you will be in a better position because the police will protect your interests if you file a claim with your insurance company. If your insurance company finds the City responsible for the loss, the insured can seek compensation from the City on your behalf.

File a claim

Follow these steps to file a claim against the City. In the event of poor condition of a city road or sidewalk, you must notify the City within 10 days of the incident.

How to file a complaint
See these instructions on how to file a claim against the City of Burlington.
Prepare your claim
Prepare your notice of claim against the City and make sure it includes:
  • Your name, postal address, e-mail address and telephone number
  • A full description of the time and location of the incident
  • A full description of what happened, including photos, motor vehicle accident reports and/or records prepared by public authorities
  • If the incident involved a City contractor or occurred in a construction zone, the name of the contractor
  • The names and contact details of any witnesses
  • A complete description of your claim for damages, including any documents supporting or supporting your claim, such as receipts and estimates
  • If you reported the incident to your insurance company, the name and contact details of the adjuster assigned to your insurance claim

Submit your claim to the City online, in person, by mail or by fax
You can submit your claim to the City online, in person, by mail or by fax.
  • Online: Complete our online Burlington claim submission form. You will receive an automatic acknowledgment upon submission of your complaint.
  • In person: Visit the City Clerk’s Department at City Hall (426 Brant Street) with your complaint.
  • By mail: Send your notice of claim to
    The Corporation of the City of Burlington
    City Clerk
    Box 5013, 426 Brant Street.
    Burlington, ON L7R 3Z6
  • By Fax: Fax us your claim to 905-335-7675.
Wait for a response from our expert firm
We send all claims to an independent insurance company for the adjuster to investigate the facts and circumstances of your incident and determine if the City is legally liable for your claim for damages. A representative of the firm of experts will contact you within six business days following receipt of your notice of claim by the City. You can expect to receive a letter from the adjuster setting out their assessment of liability within eight to 12 weeks. Response times may vary depending on the complexity of your complaint and the availability of information.

Halton Region Road Claims

For claims involving roads that fall under Halton Region’s jurisdiction, please call 311, 905-825-6000 or 1-866-442-5866 (toll free), or visit their website.

Ministry of Transportation road claims

Learn how to submit a claim if your vehicle is damaged and the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) is responsible.

Confidentiality of information

The personal information contained in this form is collected under the authority of the Municipalities Act and will be used for the purposes of receiving, evaluating and responding to complaints submitted to the City. Please direct all questions regarding this collection to:

Head of insurance and risk management
Legal department
Box 5013, 426 Brant Street.
Burlington, ON L7R 3Z6
Phone: 905-335-7600 ext. 7582

Comments are closed.