Know how to perform puja and learn about mantras
- Begin with Sankalpa (align your thoughts with the spiritual occasion and commit to performing the puja/observing the true with all your heart). Then sit in a comfortable and relaxed posture in front of the altar.
- Close your eyes and, hands joined, meditate.
- Invoke Maa Durga by chanting the following mantras and seek her blessings.
- Light an oil lamp and feed it regularly to keep it burning throughout the day. This is called the Akhand Jyot.
- Then light an incense stick.
- Offer haldi, chandan, kumkum, akshat, flowers and Naivedhya to the goddess.
- Offer camphor greetings and sing aarti.
- Recite Devi Mahatmya, also known as Durga Saptashati.
Sarva Mangala Mangalye
Sarva Mangala Mangalye, Shive Sarvartha Sadhika
Sharanye Trayambake Gauri, Narayani Namostute
Meaning: The one who fills her children with all the goodness, the one who accomplishes all her works, here she is prostrated before the mother, the one who governs the three worlds.
Yaa Devi Sarva Bhooteshu
Yaa Devi Sarva Bhooteshu Shakti Roopena Samsthitah
Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasyai Namo Namaha
Meaning: Salutations to the omnipresent and to him who represents strength. I bow to you.
Siddha Durga Mantra / Bhaya Nasha Mantra
1) Sarva Swarupe Sarveshe, Sarva Shakti Samanvite
Bhaye Bhyastraahi No Devi, Durge Devi Namostute
Meaning: Salutations to the omnipresent and most powerful of all, remove all my fears, as I bow to you, Goddess Mother Durga.
2) State vadanam saumyam lochana trayabhushitam
Paatu nah sarvabhitibhyah kaatyaayani namostute
Meaning: Salutations to him who has splendor and beautiful eyes,
Rid me of all fears, O, Mother Goddess Katyayani.